Shannon over at Thoughts and Thimbles is hosting a “Creative Spaces” link-up. I’ve decided to join in the fun, not so much because I have a terribly interesting creative space (A.K.A. my desk)
but because I needed some extra motivation to finish organizing and spiffing up certain areas which *ahem*
needed a little work.
Although my fabric stash is stored in boxes in a closet halfway across the house, the vast majority of my sewing and crafting is done here, at my desk.
It’s small, somewhat scratched-up, and there is almost no storage space in or near it. Nevertheless, I am really grateful for it (especially because my parents gave it to me for free!) and I love the freedom of not having to work at a table which has to be cleared off for every meal.
Since my working space is quite small, I try to keep the amount of “permanent items” on it to a minimum. It ends up looking rather spartan between projects, but most of the time I’m working on something or other and I’ve got papers, notebooks, fabric, my sewing machine, or some other items covering the top. A basket full of “vital” various papers sits on top, along with a candle, which is my sole decoration at the moment. Barely visible in this photo is my apron, which hangs from a thumbtack on the side of my desk.
This candle was a souvenir from a vacation to Gulf Shores. The leaves are hiding the fact that the bottom half of the candle is covered with shells and such. If you look carefully at the wall, you’ll see that the paint on the wall is scratched – letting the previous layer of paint show through. I don’t know who decided to paint the room baby blue before we moved in, but I’m glad we re-painted it.
(Pardon the blur, please.) This was my top drawer before I spiffed it up-
And this is after.
Although I’ve been planning to re-cover these boxes and such for quite some time, it was one of those things which didn’t happen until I had some reason (read: this blog post) to get it done. All I really did was print out a couple interesting patterns/pictures (chevron stripes, sheet music, world map, and part of the Bill of Rights), wrap them around the boxes, and add the labels. Simple, but it makes me happy.
The top left drawer -
The boxes in this drawer were wrapped up several months ago, though it wasn’t until recently that I labeled them.
This is the left middle drawer – it holds my Bible (which is currently in need of a new Bible cover) and a couple other notebooks, my garden seeds, and memory flashcards.
And finally, this is the bottom drawer, where I keep my latest sewing project(s). Right now it holds my semi-finished quilt top, which I’ll hopefully complete and turn into a quilt in a month or so.
Unfortunately, my desk doesn’t always look this tidy. When I’m working on it, of course, it is a “productive mess”. But even when it’s not being used, I’m afraid it tends to collect all kinds of items if I’m not careful to constantly weed out the unnecessary items.
For example: I had to pull a cow out from underneath the desk before taking these photos. (Err… no, not a real cow. Just a four-inch plastic one. I don’t invite real cows into the house, that would be silly.)
Eventually, I’d love to have a larger area with more storage space and room to work. Right now sewing something requires me to collect items from all over the house, as the fabric, ironing board, and iron are all kept in totally different areas of the house. It’s not a big deal, but it would be more convenient to have them all right at my fingertips.
I also love the way Shannon has mini fabric bolts organizing her fabric. My fabric is currently stuffed in boxes, and despite my good intentions, those boxes are always messy – there isn’t any way to find fabric other than to rummage through the box, which inevitably leads to a mess. If I had a bookshelf – or even just a shelf - I’d love to adopt that idea, but at the moment I’ll just have to file the idea away and hope that I can use it someday.
I’ll finish up this post with a photo of this doily, which I made because I love the way pineapple patterns look. What I didn’t realize, however, was that each point was crocheted one-at-a-time, which meant that this little coaster-sized doily took me far longer to complete than I expected.